Monday, April 2, 2007

The birth of my business

This blog will eventually serve as a place for me to communicate with my clients, give sneak peaks of photo sessions, and post specials, news, and information.

For now, I will use it to document the birth of my photography business. I have spent the last several months plotting, planning, outlining, and brainstorming what has for many years been just a dream. Photography has been a great passion of mine since I was a kid. I think I took my first "fine art" landscape photo when I was just thirteen. It was of the Canadian Rockies bathed in glorious golden light and reflected in a lake. I shot slide film with my dad's Nikon and anticipated the finished product throughout the rest of the vacation. When at last I got to see it, I felt great pride and a little bit like a magician.

My style evolved from there and by the end of high school I had my own darkroom. Now we have entered the instant gratification era of digital photography, and although the suspense of waiting to see a photo is gone, the excitement at seeing the final image is not.

I am having a website built, logos made, designing business cards, filing with the State of Oregon...all the behind the scenes stuff required to start a business (and there is tons!). My brother, the CEO assures me that it's all about marketing. Then there is the part I love: building my portfolio. Anyone who will hold still gets my camera aimed at them. The business stuff is the necessary evil. The photography is the reward. I already love my job! I never dreamed I'd be able to say that truthfully.

Here is my first post: Some photos of my gorgeous and extremely photogenic son. Someday he will thank me for these pictures. Now he just tries to grab my camera. I am shooting with a Nikon D80. I mostly love it, but it has a couple little quirks that drive me nuts. Thanks to www.KenRockwell.com though, I am learning to get around them.







No comments: